Reducing the Welfare Benefit Bill- a few suggestions.
1) Raise the minimum wage to a level where fewer people in work have to claim in work benefits
2) Encourage employers to pay a living wage through National Insurance breaks
3) Suspend National Insurance for small businesses.
4) Make the couple allowance of Income Support the same as 2x individual rate. This is an increase but will reduce cost of ” Fraud” investigations and will encourage fathers to live with their families.
5) Reintroduce rent control to curb the housing benefit subsidy to private landlords.
6) Zero rate vat for home improvements and house renovations. This will create more jobs and create more housing.
Just a few thoughts. off the cuff. Any suggestions?