Copenhagen re cycling: My next set of thoughts.
As I indicated yesterday, (see post here) it would be impossible to write about a visit to Copenhagen without writing about cycling. I am not a regular cyclists and frankly do not have the nerve to cycle around Derby. But I think even I could cycle in Copenhagen. As I pointed out yesterday, the cycle paths are wide and separated from the main road by a kerb-
this allows plenty of wobble room. The junctions are clearly shown-
and as far as I can tell, motorists respect cyclists as fellow road users.
And it is easy to get onto the local S trains as there are separate carriages on each train-
and plenty of space.
And if you worry about getting your bike up the stairs at the station, here’s the solution.
When I see such simple solutions, and an integrated approach like this, I wonder why we don’t seem able to do things like this in England. Is there something about our character or perhaps our politics? I don’t know and perhaps I am just doing us down…
At the bottom of our flats were we are staying there are communal bins: paper, glass, plastic, cardboard, batteries, garden and domestic. Making recycling, like cycling, easy. Oh and there are the bikes too, unlocked.
And I forgot to mention the tower, The Round Tower.
This 35m tower has no steps-
and apparently hosts the occasional cycle race. Perhaps it makes up for the unchallenging cycling in the city…
My latest ramblings
- East Neuk musings: a rolling post.
- Messages from Europe: Postcard/collages 1974/75
- UK General Election 2017: what happens now?
- Brentford v Derby 2017: a moan-in from Møn.
- Copenhagen: yes, I get on a bike.
- Copenhagen re cycling: My next set of thoughts.
- Copenhagen arrival- a short post.
- Labour, indyref and brexit- where are the progressive policies?
- Self employment, NIC and the bigger picture: a few thoughts.
- Dear HMRC-a few comments on my contribution.
- A #peoplesvote presumably is a call for a 2nd ref. Have we not learnt from the 1st one? If we believe in… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- It's very tiring sitting in #Bakewell in the sun, eating a pub lunch at #thepeacock waiting for @GregHillOConnor to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- RT @HowlTweeter: and rose incarnate in the ghostly clothes of jazz in the goldhorn shadow of the band and blew the suffering of America's n… 13 hours ago
- RT @aflashbak: Sandwiches for sale, London 1972 https://t.co/qjRoenOr4E 14 hours ago
- RT @heather1917: Love this painting of Derby. twitter.com/Shain50/status… 15 hours ago
- RT @AlzSocEMidlands: Alzheimer’s Society charity partners Derby County FC are hosting a football tournament to raise donations and awarenes… 2 days ago
- RT @FrancasTweets: The A50 between Toyota and Chellaston is in gridlock. Avoid, avoid, avoid. 4 days ago
- RT @DerbysPolice: Concerns are growing for #missing woman Rachel Richards, who was last seen on Monday, May 7 at 3pm in the Uttoxeter Road… 4 days ago
- RT @PonusHoribilus: @overhere3 @derbycounty Thanks for your updates. Sometimes it was the only way to follow the games. Here’s to more go… 4 days ago
- Season ends. Can I just say a big thank you to the #worldwiderams via @derbycounty You have been great company during good and bad days... 5 days ago