Copenhagen re cycling: My next set of thoughts.
As I indicated yesterday, (see post here) it would be impossible to write about a visit to Copenhagen without writing about cycling. I am not a regular cyclists and frankly do not have the nerve to cycle around Derby. But I think even I could cycle in Copenhagen. As I pointed out yesterday, the cycle paths are wide and separated from the main road by a kerb-
this allows plenty of wobble room. The junctions are clearly shown-
and as far as I can tell, motorists respect cyclists as fellow road users.
And it is easy to get onto the local S trains as there are separate carriages on each train-
and plenty of space.
And if you worry about getting your bike up the stairs at the station, here’s the solution.
When I see such simple solutions, and an integrated approach like this, I wonder why we don’t seem able to do things like this in England. Is there something about our character or perhaps our politics? I don’t know and perhaps I am just doing us down…
At the bottom of our flats were we are staying there are communal bins: paper, glass, plastic, cardboard, batteries, garden and domestic. Making recycling, like cycling, easy. Oh and there are the bikes too, unlocked.
And I forgot to mention the tower, The Round Tower.
This 35m tower has no steps-
and apparently hosts the occasional cycle race. Perhaps it makes up for the unchallenging cycling in the city…
My latest ramblings
- Messages from Europe: Postcard/collages 1974/75
- UK General Election 2017: what happens now?
- Brentford v Derby 2017: a moan-in from Møn.
- Copenhagen: yes, I get on a bike.
- Copenhagen re cycling: My next set of thoughts.
- Copenhagen arrival- a short post.
- Labour, indyref and brexit- where are the progressive policies?
- Self employment, NIC and the bigger picture: a few thoughts.
- Dear HMRC-a few comments on my contribution.
- Sunday stroll in Derby; a few photos, a few words.
- RT @Supersonic_Frog: The story of the UK/EU relationship in Led Zeppelin songs. 1/16 19 hours ago
- A federal uk within a federal #eu @JeremyCliffe @INTERREGTweets twitter.com/jonworth/statu… 19 hours ago
- RT @jonworth: @ottocrat Bear in mind that I also see this from the EU / federalist side, in that the EU might be better off w/o the UK. 19 hours ago
- I'd count myself as one too though I don't have the clout of these 2.. twitter.com/jonworth/statu… 19 hours ago
- RT @MatthewWells: 'Years of effort lost in minutes': Loss of Kirkuk has shattered Kurds' dreams of independent state cnn.it/2ijB0qm 20 hours ago
- Shakespeare sacked. Another example of the way football is going. 22 hours ago
- RT @dcfcpodcast: A Few Thoughts: Post-Forest - dcfcpodcast.uk/thoughts-post-… #dcfcfans 2 days ago
- Southampton game on in the background. Whenever they mention Gabbiadini I mentally add- (no relation.) 3 days ago
- Great win, great atmosphere. Same again next week folks! (Except I won't be there unfortunately) 3 days ago
- #unitedagainstdementia twitter.com/overhere3/stat… 3 days ago